The name Danny was brought to England
in the great wave of migration following the Norman Conquest
of 1066. The Danny family lived in Wiltshire
. The family was originally from Anizy, in Calvados, Normandy
, and it is from this location that their surname derives. The name would have stood D'Anizy, which means from Anizy. CITATION[CLOSE]
Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
Early Origins of the Danny family
The surname Danny was first found in Wiltshire
where Richard de Dauntesye was one of the first records of the name as listed in the Hundredorum Rolls
of 1273. The same rolls listed Peter de Dauntesy in Berkshire. CITATION[CLOSE]
Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
West Lavington in Wiltshire
"was for many generations the property of the Dauntsey family, of whom William Dauntsey, a younger son, was alderman of London in 1542." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
He would later found and endow an almshouse, and a grammar school there. The church contains the sepulchral chapel of the Dauntsey family. Through marriage the property passed to the Danvers family.
Early History of the Danny family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Danny research.Another 156 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1242, 1348, 1349, 1632 and 1542 are included under the topic Early Danny History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Danny Spelling Variations
Endless spelling variations
are a prevailing characteristic of Norman surnames. Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules, and the introduction of Norman French added an unfamiliar ingredient to the English linguistic stew. French and Latin, the languages of the court, also influenced spellings. Finally, Medieval scribes generally spelled words according to how they sounded, so one person was often referred to by different spellings in different documents. The name has been spelled Dancey, Dauncy, Dauncey, Dauntsey, Dance, Dancie, Dauncie, Dauntsie and many more.
Early Notables of the Danny family (pre 1700)
Migration of the Danny family to Ireland
Some of the Danny family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Danny family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Danny Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Honore Danny, who arrived in Montreal in 1653
Contemporary Notables of the name Danny (post 1700)
- Jeffery Danny Dench (1928-2014), English actor, best known for his work with the Royal Shakespeare Company, older brother of actress Judi Dench
- Danny Gatton (1945-1994), American guitarist, ranked 63rd on Rolling Stone magazine's 100 Greatest Guitarists of all Time
- Danny Kustow (1950-2019), English rock guitarist from the late 1970s and 1980s, known for his work with the Tom Robinson Band
- Danny Saucedo (b. 1986), Swedish singer-songwriter of Bolivian descent
- Danny La Rue OBE (1927-2009), born Daniel Patrick Carroll, an Irish-born British entertainer known for his singing and drag impersonations
- Danny Wylde (b. 1985), birth name of Christopher Daniel Zeischegg, an American writer, musician, filmmaker
- Danny Cunniff (b. 1999), American teenager who died of acute myeloid leukemia; his parents raised enough money to dedicate the renaming of Danny Cunniff Park in Highland Park, Illinois
- Danny Washbrook (b. 1985), English rugby league player for Hull F.C
- Danny Morgan, American Democrat politician, Member of Oklahoma State House of Representatives 32nd District; Elected 2002 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Danny Peyronel (b. 1953), born Daniel-Augusto Peyrone, an English singer, songwriter, keyboard player and producer
Danny Family Crest Products
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html