Today's Irish surnames are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Currigan originally appeared in Gaelic as O Corragain.
Early Origins of the Currigan family
The surname Currigan was first found in Fermanagh
(Irish: Fear Manach) in the southwestern part of Northern Ireland
, Province of Ulster
, in Ulster, where they are known to have been located since the 9th century. This family was related to the Maguires, and both families claim descent from the three Collas, who were Irish kings during the 4th century. Those of the Currigan family is now scattered widely across Ireland, with the exception of Munster
, where they are uncommon. The dispersion of the family had already taken place by the 16th century, when bearers of the name were recorded in the counties of Meath, Monaghan
. Petty's census of 1659, lists Corrigan and O'Corrigan as among the most common names in the counties of Fermanagh
Early History of the Currigan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Currigan research.Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1839, 1902, 1802, 1880 and 1866 are included under the topic Early Currigan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Currigan Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Carrigan, Caragan, Caraghen, Carigan, Carignan, Carragan, O'Carrigan, Corrigan, Corigan, O'Corrigan, Corigon, Corrigon, Corrigen, Korrigan, Korigan, Currigan, Courigan, Currigen, Kurrigan, Corregan, Coregan, Corigen, Korrigen, Korigen, Kurigan and many more.
Early Notables of the Currigan family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Currigan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Currigan family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Currigan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mary Ann Currigan, aged 19, who settled in America, in 1895
Currigan Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Owen Currigan, aged 32, who landed in America from Ballaghadereen, in 1901
- Bridget Currigan, aged 19, who landed in America from Achill, Ireland, in 1910
- Maggie Currigan, aged 16, who landed in America from Ballaghedereen, Ireland, in 1910
- Kate Currigan, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Castlerea, Ireland, in 1911
- Stephen Currigan, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States from Lisacull, Ireland, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Currigan (post 1700)
- Thomas G. Currigan (b. 1920), American politician, Mayor of Denver, Colorado (1963 to 1968)
- Martin D. Currigan (1845-1900), Irish-born, American politician in state of Colorado