Crisman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient roots of the Crisman family name are in the Anglo-Saxon culture. The name Crisman comes from when the family lived in an area that was close to a wooden or stone cross, or a crossroads. The surname was originally derived from the word kross.
Early Origins of the Crisman family
The surname Crisman was first found in Somerset where some of the earliest records of the name include: Nicholas Crousman, Philip Crosman and Thomas Crosman are all listed there in the reign of Edward III.  Philip Crosman was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Somerset in 1327. 
Early History of the Crisman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Crisman research. Another 69 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1623, 1683 and 1683 are included under the topic Early Crisman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Crisman Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Crisman has appeared include Crossman, Crosseman, Crosman, Croseman, Croixman, Croisman, Croxman, Croceman, Crossmen, Crossemen, Crosmen, Crossmann, Crosmann, Crouceman, Croiceman and many more.
Early Notables of the Crisman family (pre 1700)
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Crisman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Crisman migration to the United States +
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Crisman arrived in North America very early:
Crisman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- George Crisman, who landed in Maryland in 1798 
Crisman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Crisman, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1860 
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)