Crass History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient roots of the Crass family name are in the Anglo-Saxon culture. The name Crass comes from when the family lived in Lincolnshire.
Early Origins of the Crass family
The surname Crass was first found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Crass family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Crass research. Another 111 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1130, 1203, 1273, 1277, 1379, and 1698 are included under the topic Early Crass History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Crass Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Crass has appeared include Crass, Crassus, Cras, Craas, Crace, Craise, Craze, Grass, Grasse, Gras and many more.
Early Notables of the Crass family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Crass Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Crass migration to the United States +
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Crass arrived in North America very early:
Crass Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christopher Crass who arrived in Philadelphia in 1785
Crass Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Heinr Crass, who arrived in America in 1852 
- Lothar Crass, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1856 
- Joh Thaddaus Crass, who landed in Brazil in 1858 
- Christine Crass, who landed in America in 1863 
Contemporary Notables of the name Crass (post 1700) +
- Chris Crass (b. 1973), American social justice activist and writer
- Derrick Crass (b. 1960), American Olympic weightlifter
- Johhny Crass, American actor
- Michael Crass, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Indiana 1st District, 1996, 1998 
- Franz Crass (1928-2012), German bass singer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 13) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html