Coxhill History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient roots of the Coxhill family name are in the Anglo-Saxon culture. The name Coxhill comes from when the family lived in the parish of Coggleshall in the diocese of St. Albans, in the county of Essex.
Early Origins of the Coxhill family
The surname Coxhill was first found in Essex where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Early History of the Coxhill family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coxhill research. Another 138 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1272, 1400, 1516, and 1633 are included under the topic Early Coxhill History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Coxhill Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Coxhill has appeared include Coxwell, Cogswell, Coggeshall, Coxville, Coxwells and many more.
Early Notables of the Coxhill family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Coxhill Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Coxhill migration to the United States +
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Coxhill arrived in North America very early:
Coxhill Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Coxhill, who arrived in America in 1760-1763 
Contemporary Notables of the name Coxhill (post 1700) +
- Arnold B. Coxhill, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 9th District, 1942, 1944; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1944 
- Lowen "Lol" Coxhill (b. 1932), English Jazz musician
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 27) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html