100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
All Irish surnames have a unique and often romantic meaning. The name Cosgrove originally appeared in Gaelic as Mac Coscraigh or O Coscraigh, from the word "coscrach," which means victorious.
The surname Cosgrove was first found in Leinster
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
The spelling of names in Ireland during the Middle Ages was rarely consistent. This inconsistency was due to the scribes and church officials' attempts to record orally defined names in writing. The common practice of recording names as they sounded resulted in spelling variations such as Cosgrove, Cosgrave, O'Cosgrove, O'Cosgrave, McCosgrove, McCosgrave and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cosgrove research. Another 491 words (35 lines of text) covering the years 1000, 1172, 1620, and 1641 are included under the topic Early Cosgrove History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Cosgrove Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Many destitute Irish families
in the 18th and 19th centuries decided to leave their homeland, which had in many ways been scarred by English colonial rule. One of the most frequent destinations for these families was North America where it was possible for an Irish family to own their own parcel of land. Many of the early settlers did find land awaiting them in British North America, or even later in America, but for the majority of immigrants that arrived as a result of the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s the ownership of land was often a long way off. These Irish people were initially put to work on such industrial projects as the building of bridges, canals, and railroads, or they worked at manufacturing positions within factories. Whenever they arrived, the Irish made enormous contributions to the infant nations of Canada and the United States. Some of the earliest immigrants to bearer the name of Cosgrove were found through extensive research of immigration and passenger lists:
Cosgrove Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Cosgrove, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1745
- Michael Cosgrove, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1746
Cosgrove Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Barnard Cosgrove, aged 21, arrived in New York in 1812
- Bartholemew Cosgrove, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1816
- Richard Cosgrove, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Teresa Cosgrove, who landed in New York, NY in 1845
- John, Michael, William Cosgrove arrived in Philadelphia in 1850
Cosgrove Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Dennis Cosgrove U.E who settled in Belle Vue, Beaver Harbour, Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1783
Cosgrove Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Catherine Cosgrove, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1813
- Margaret Cosgrove, aged 20, arrived in St. John aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
Cosgrove Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Cosgrove, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Almorah" on April 1817, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Alicia Cosgrove arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Surrey" in 1838
- Mary Cosgrove, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Taymouth Castle"
- Mary Cosgrove, aged 30, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- John Cosgrove, English convict from Lancaster, who was transported aboard the "Adelaide" on April 16, 1855, settling in Western Australia
Cosgrove Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mary Cosgrove arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Viscount Sandon" in 1860
- James Cosgrove arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Excelsior" in 1870
- Eliza Cosgrove, aged 34, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Oxford" in 1874
- Samuel Goodlove Cosgrove (1847-1909), American politician, 6th Governor of Washington (1909)
- Harriet 'Hattie' Siliman Cosgrove (1887-1970), American archaeologist
- Daniel Cosgrove (b. 1970), American two-time Daytime Emmy Award nominated actor, best known for his work on The Guiding Light
- John Cosgrove (b. 1968), American politician, congressman from Missouri
- Kevin Cosgrove (1955-2001), American victim of the 9/11 attack; was Claims Vice President of Aon Corporation
- John Cosgrove (b. 1954), Virginia state legislator
- Luke Cosgrove (1862-1949), Irish actor
- William Cosgrove (1888-1936), Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Paddy Cosgrove, Former Chairman of Mayo County Council, Ireland
- Henry Edward Cosgrove AM QC (1922-2010), Australian judge, Law Reform Commissioner (1988–1991), Chairman of the Superannuation Accumulation Fund (1989–1992)
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
The Cosgrove Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cosgrove Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 March 2016 at 23:06.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!