Corgan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Today's Irish surnames are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Corgan originally appeared in Gaelic as O Corragain.
Early Origins of the Corgan family
The surname Corgan was first found in Fermanagh (Irish: Fear Manach) in the southwestern part of Northern Ireland, Province of Ulster, in Ulster, where they are known to have been located since the 9th century. This family was related to the Maguires, and both families claim descent from the three Collas, who were Irish kings during the 4th century. Those of the Corgan family is now scattered widely across Ireland, with the exception of Munster, where they are uncommon. The dispersion of the family had already taken place by the 16th century, when bearers of the name were recorded in the counties of Meath, Monaghan, Offaly and Roscommon. Petty's census of 1659, lists Corrigan and O'Corrigan as among the most common names in the counties of Fermanagh, Longford and Offaly.
Early History of the Corgan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Corgan research. Another 110 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1839, 1902, 1802, 1880 and 1866 are included under the topic Early Corgan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Corgan Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Carrigan, Caragan, Caraghen, Carigan, Carignan, Carragan, O'Carrigan, Corrigan, Corigan, O'Corrigan, Corigon, Corrigon, Corrigen, Korrigan, Korigan, Currigan, Courigan, Currigen, Kurrigan, Corregan, Coregan, Corigen, Korrigen, Korigen, Kurigan and many more.
Early Notables of the Corgan family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Corgan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Corgan migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Corgan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Corgan, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- Catherine Corgan, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1894
- Pat Corgan, aged 45, who landed in America, in 1895
Corgan Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Joseph Corgan, aged 40, who settled in America from London, in 1904
- Bessie Corgan, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States from Dublin, Ireland, in 1907
- Wilfred A. Corgan, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States, in 1923
|Contemporary Notables of the name Corgan (post 1700) ||+|
- Charles Howard Corgan (1902-1928), American professional baseball and football player from Wagoner, Oklahoma
- William Patrick "Billy" Corgan Jr. (b. 1967), American musician, producer, lyricist, writer, best known as the frontman and sole permanent member of The Smashing Pumpkins
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)