on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: French, Portuguese
Where did the French Cordes family come from? What is the French Cordes family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cordes family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cordes family history?The surname Cordes is a name whose history is connected to ancient Normandy. The name is derived from when the Cordes family once lived in Normandy, where the family was established since 1463 in a seigniory erected for des Cordey.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Corde, Cordes, Cordé, Cordet, Cordette, Cordey, de Cordey, des Cordey, Corday, de Corday, Cordié, Cordier, Lecordier, Cordeau, Cordeaux, Cordot, Cordaud, Cordauld, Cordaut, Cordault, Cordaux, Cordaulx, Cordau, Cordel, Cordelle, Cordelet and many more.
First found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where the family was established since 1463 in a seigniory erected for des Cordey.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cordes research. Another 107 words(8 lines of text) covering the years 1768, 1793, 1592, 1650, 1380, 1440, 1480, 1564, 1777 and 1861 are included under the topic Early Cordes History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 103 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cordes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cordes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Kath Cordes, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
- Marke Cordes, who arrived in Maryland in 1671
Cordes Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Friedrich Cordes, who arrived in America in 1780
- C H Cordes, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1794
Cordes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Cordes, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1808
- Joh Cordes, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Jac Cordes, who landed in North America in 1832-1849
- Jacob Cordes, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1834
- Alboecht Cordes, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1837
Cordes Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Ernst Cordes, aged 19, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Malvina Vidal"
Cordes Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Henry Cordes arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Aloe" in 1863
- Kevin Cordes (b. 1993), American gold and bronze medalist breast stroke swimmer at the 2012 World Championships
- Nancy Cordes, née Weiner, American CBS News congressional correspondent, based in Washington, D.C
- Manfred Cordes (b. 1953), German conductor of early music, musicologist and teacher
- Ulrich Cordes (b. 1980), German tenor
- Burkhard Cordes (b. 1939), Brazilian bronze medalist sailor in the Flying Dutchman Class at the 1968 Summer Olympics
- Colin Cordes, New Zealand silver medalist rower at the 1962 British Empire and Commonwealth Games
- Charlott Cordes (b. 1988), German fashion model
- Otto Cordes (1905-1970), German gold and silver medalist water polo player at the 1928 and 1932 Summer Olympics, father of Burkhard Cordes
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
The Cordes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cordes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 August 2014 at 14:45.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more