Coleingwod History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Coleingwod family
The surname Coleingwod was first found in Northumberland. The township of Little Rye was an early home of this distinguished family. "This was the seat of the fourth son of Sir Daniel Collingwood, of Brandon, the descendant of Sir Cuthbert Collingwood, of Eslington, whose family were celebrated for their feats of border chivalry, and held considerable possessions in these parts. Alexander Collingwood, who resided at Little Ryle, was High Sheriff of the county in 1725. The old Hall, which stood in a fine sheltered situation, has long been in ruins."  A branch of the family was established in North Dissington, Northumberland in early times. "This place was formerly the property and residence of a junior branch of the Delaval family, of whom Admiral Sir Ralph Delaval, a native of the township, sold the estate to Mr. Collingwood, of Byker, from whom it descended to its present possessor. The Hall, the seat of Mr. Collingwood, is a substantial stone mansion, erected in 1797, and contains a small collection of pictures. " 
Early History of the Coleingwod family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coleingwod research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1726, 1513, 1497, 1504, 1507, 1634, 1681, 1679, 1681, 1716, 1715 and 1715 are included under the topic Early Coleingwod History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Coleingwod Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Collingwood, Colingwood, Callingwood, Gollingwood and many more.
Early Notables of the Coleingwod family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Roger Collingwood (fl. 1513), English mathematician, elected a fellow of Queens' College, Cambridge, in 1497. He was dean of his college in 1504, and obtained a license on 16 Sept. 1507 to travel on the continent during four years for the purpose of studying canon law. 
Daniel Collingwood (c.1634-1681), was an English politician, Member of Parliament for Morpeth (1679-1681).
George Collingwood (d. 1716), was...
Another 73 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Coleingwod Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Coleingwod family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Samuel Collingwood who arrived in Philadelphia in 1798; and of course Collingwood is the name of ship building town in northern Ontario named after an early pioneer..
Related Stories +
The Coleingwod Motto +
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Nil conscire sibi
Motto Translation: To have a conscience free from guilt.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print