Colegrave History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Colegrave is Anglo-Saxon in origin. It is made up of two elements, both derived from Old English: "col," meaning "cold," and "graf," meaning "grove" or "thicket." It is likely that the original bearer of the name was someone from the north who lived near a large or well-known grove.
Early Origins of the Colegrave family
The surname Colegrave was first found in Oxfordshire, where the name is thought to have first emerged. The earliest known bearer of the name was Geo Colgrave, who was married in Oxfordshire in 1566.
Important Dates for the Colegrave family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Colegrave research. Another 117 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1566, 1610, 1620, 1610, 1663, 1640, 1667, 1759, 1694, 1787, 1717 and 1768 are included under the topic Early Colegrave History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Colegrave Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Colgrove, Colgrave, Colegrove, Colegrave and others.
Early Notables of the Colegrave family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Thomas Colgrave (b. 1640), a well-known lieutenant colonel in the British army; Francis Colegrove (c. 1667-c. 1759), English colonial immigrant, the first...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Colegrave Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Colegrave migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Colegrave Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Albert M Colegrave, aged 29, who immigrated to America, in 1909
- Forest D Colegrave, aged 5, who landed in America, in 1909
- Mable M Colegrave, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1909
- Owen A Colegrave, aged 8, who landed in America, in 1909
- G.Manly Colegrave, aged 26, who immigrated to the United States from Westgate on Sea, England, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Colegrave (post 1700)
- Mark Colegrave, Canadian realtor and well-known ultra-marathon runner
- Mark David Colegrave (b. 1968), Australian cricket player from Tasmania who played for the Tasmanian Tigers