100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The ancestors of the name Colby date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence in Colby, a parish in the county of Norfolk.
Colby has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Colby, Colbey, Coalby and others.
First found in Norfolk where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Colby research. Another 265 words (19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Colby History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Colby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Colbys to arrive on North American shores:
Colby Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Anthony Colby and his wife Susannah who settled at Salem Massachusetts in 1630
- Anthony Colby, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1632
- Henry Colby settled in New England in 1633
- Anne Colby settled in Virginia in 1655
- Ann Colby, who arrived in Virginia in 1655
Colby Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Samuel Colby, who landed in Jamaica in 1709
Colby Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M H Colby, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- R K Colby, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- D Colby, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- T Colby, who landed in San Francisco California in 1851
- S B Colby, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1855
- Bainbridge Colby (1869-1950), American lawyer, founder of the United States Progressive Party, Secretary of State for Woodrow Wilson
- Everett Colby (1874-1943), American politician, member of the New Jersey Senate
- Charles Carroll Colby PC (1827-1907), American-born, Canadian lawyer, businessman and politician
- Carroll Burleigh "C.B." Colby (1904-1977), American children's book writer of over 93 books used in American public and school libraries
- Anthony Colby (1792-1873), American businessman and politician, Governor of New Hampshire (1846-1847)
- Barbara Colby (1940-1975), American actress tragically killed in a drive-by shooting
- Anita Colby (1914-1972), born Anita Counihan, American actress
- Frank Moore Colby (1865-1925), American educator and writer
- William E. Colby (1973-1976), American head of CIA
- Thomas Frederick Colby (1784-1852), British major-general and director of the Ordnance Survey
- The Colby Family in Early America: Early Generations of the Descendants of Anthony Colby of Boston, Cambridge, Salisbury and Amesbury, Massachusetts, 1595-1661 by Frederick Lewis Weis.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Colby Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Colby Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 January 2016 at 19:32.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!