100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
name Cogswell comes from the family having resided in the parish of Coggleshall in the diocese of St. Albans, in the county of Essex.
The surname Cogswell was first found in Essex
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times.
Cogswell has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Coxwell, Cogswell, Coggeshall, Coxville, Coxwells and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cogswell research. Another 323 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1272, 1400, 1516, and 1633 are included under the topic Early Cogswell History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Cogswell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England
, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Cogswells to arrive on North American shores:
Cogswell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Cogswell, who landed in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1635
Cogswell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- R Cogswell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Cogswell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- J. Cogswell arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caroline" in 1849
Cogswell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Cogswell, aged 43, a gardener, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lauderdale" in 1874
- Margaret Cogswell, aged 44, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lauderdale" in 1874
- Davis Sarah Cogswell, aged 22, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lauderdale" in 1874
- William James Cogswell, aged 20, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lauderdale" in 1874
- Mary Ann Cogswell, aged 18, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lauderdale" in 1874
- Rear Admiral James Kelsey Cogswell (1847-1908), United States Navy officer who served in Spanish-American War
- William F. Cogswell (1819-1903), American professional portrait artist
- Theodore Cogswell (1918-1987), American science fiction author
- Pearson Cogswell, American politician, Member of New Hampshire State Senate 6th District, 1823-24
- Parsons B. Cogswell (1828-1895), American politician, Mayor of Concord, New Hampshire, 1893-94
- Ledyard Cogswell Jr., American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1928
- Glenn D. Cogswell, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kansas, 1956
- George Cogswell, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Massachusetts, 1860
- Charlotte P. Cogswell, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Hampshire, 1972
- Amos Cogswell, American politician, Member of New Hampshire State Senate, 1817-20, 1838-40
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
The Cogswell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cogswell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 January 2016 at 11:01.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!