100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Cogswell family come from? What is the English Cogswell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cogswell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cogswell family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Cogswell comes from the family having resided in the parish of Coggleshall in the diocese of St. Albans, in the county of Essex.
Cogswell has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Coxwell, Cogswell, Coggeshall, Coxville, Coxwells and many more.
First found in Essex where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cogswell research. Another 323 words(23 lines of text) covering the years 1272, 1400, 1516, and 1633 are included under the topic Early Cogswell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Cogswell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Cogswells to arrive on North American shores:
Cogswell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Cogswell, who landed in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1635
Cogswell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- R Cogswell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Cogswell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- J. Cogswell arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caroline" in 1849
Cogswell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Cogswell, aged 43, a gardener, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lauderdale" in 1874
- Margaret Cogswell, aged 44, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lauderdale" in 1874
- Davis Sarah Cogswell, aged 22, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lauderdale" in 1874
- William James Cogswell, aged 20, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lauderdale" in 1874
- Mary Ann Cogswell, aged 18, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lauderdale" in 1874
- Rear Admiral James Kelsey Cogswell (1847-1908), United States Navy officer who served in Spanish-American War
- William F. Cogswell (1819-1903), American professional portrait artist
- Theodore Cogswell (1918-1987), American science fiction author
- Joseph Green Cogswell (1786-1871), American librarian and bibliographer
- Fred Cogswell CM (1917-2004), Canadian poet
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Cogswell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cogswell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 December 2012 at 20:16.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!