on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Cobian family come from? What is the English Cobian family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cobian family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cobian family history?The name Cobian is tied to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of England. It comes from the given name Jacob.
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Cobian has undergone many spelling variations, including Cobbin, Cobbing, Cobon, Cobin, Cobyn, Cobben, Cobenn, Coblyn, Coblin and many more.
First found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cobian research. Another 246 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1202, 1273, 1298, 1345, and 1773 are included under the topic Early Cobian History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Cobian Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Cobian were among those contributors:
Cobian Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann F Cobian, who arrived in Ohio in 1824
- Jose M Cobian, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1861
- Modesto Cobian, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1861
- Justo Pastor Cobian, aged 21, landed in Puerto Rico in 1861
- Maximo Cobian, aged 21, arrived in Puerto Rico in 1869
Cobian Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mercedes Cobian, aged 22, who landed in America from San Juan, in 1905
- Maximino Cobian, aged 25, who settled in America from Havana, Cuba, in 1908
- Pedro Cobian, aged 33, who settled in America, in 1909
- Modesto Cobian, aged 20, who settled in New York City, New York, in 1918
- Esteban F. Cobian, aged 38, who settled in New York, N. Y., in 1918
- Alfonso Valdés Cobián (1890-1988), Puerto Rico industrialist, banker, sportsman and politician, cofounder of Cervecería India, Inc., Puerto Rico's largest beer brewery
- Juan Manuel Cobián (b. 1975), former Argentine footballer
- Miguelina Cobián (b. 1941), retired Cuban sprinter
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Cobian Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cobian Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 January 2012 at 16:07.
on orders of $85 or more