Cobbin History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Cobbin name is an important part of the history of the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. Cobbin is derived from the given name Jacob.
Early Origins of the Cobbin family
The surname Cobbin was first found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Cobbin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cobbin research. Another 72 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1202, 1273, 1298, 1345, and 1773 are included under the topic Early Cobbin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cobbin Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Cobbin were recorded, including Cobbin, Cobbing, Cobon, Cobin, Cobyn, Cobben, Cobenn, Coblyn, Coblin and many more.
Early Notables of the Cobbin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cobbin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cobbin migration to the United States +
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Cobbin family emigrate to North America:
Cobbin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Cobbin who arrived in Philadelphia in 1851
- Thomas Cobbin in Philadelphia in 1856
- Alfred Cobbin, who arrived at Philadelphia in 1856
- David Cobbin, aged 18, who landed in New York in 1862 
- Mary A Cobbin, aged 56, who arrived in New York in 1862 
Cobbin migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cobbin Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Cobbin, aged 17, a labourer, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick aboard the ship "Perseus" in 1834
Contemporary Notables of the name Cobbin (post 1700) +
- Max Cobbin, Ghanaian insurance Chairman of SIC Insurance Company, a Ghanaian insurance company
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)