Cluney History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Cluney family saga is rooted in the people of the Pictish Clan of ancient Scotland. The Cluney family lived in the lands of Clunie in Stormmot, Perthshire where the name can be found since very early times.
Early Origins of the Cluney family
The surname Cluney was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Cluney family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cluney research. Another 94 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1214 and 1296 are included under the topic Early Cluney History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cluney Spelling Variations
Prior to the invention of the printing press in the last hundred years, documents were basically unique. Names were written according to sound, and often appeared differently each time they were recorded. Spelling variations of the name Cluney include Clunie, Clooney, Cloon, Cloone, Clowney, Clune, Cluney, Clunis and many more.
Early Notables of the Cluney family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cluney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cluney migration to the United States
The freedom of the North American colonies was enticing, and many Scots left to make the great crossing. It was a long and hard journey, but its reward was a place where there was more land than people and tolerance was far easier to come by. Many of these people came together to fight for a new nation in the American War of Independence, while others remained loyal to the old order as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of Scots in North America have recovered much of this heritage in the 20th century through Clan societies and other such organizations. A search of immigration and passenger lists revealed many important and early immigrants to North America bearing the name of Cluney:
Typical Cluney Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Cluney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Cluney, who settled in Philadelphia in 1866
- Thomas Cluney, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1868
Contemporary Notables of the name Cluney (post 1700)
- Ryan Cluney (b. 1984), American professional wrestler who uses the ring name Ryan McBride
- John C. Cluney, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Connecticut 5th District, 1946 
- Edward G. Cluney, American politician, Representative from New York 33rd District, 1940 
- Henry Cluney (b. 1957), Northern Irish guitarist, founding member of Stiff Little Fingers in 1977
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html