on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Claypool family come from? What is the English Claypool family crest and coat of arms? When did the Claypool family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Claypool family history?The ancestors of the Claypool surname lived among the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. The name comes from when they lived in Claypole, a parish in the county of Lincolnshire, near Newark.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Claypool include Claypool, Claypoll, Claypole, Claypoole, Claypol and others.
First found in Lincolnshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Claypool research. Another 135 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1654, 1655, 1625, 1688, 1645, 1660, 1629 and 1658 are included under the topic Early Claypool History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 181 words (13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Claypool Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants: Edward Claypole who settled in Barbados with his daughter Abigail in 1679; James Claypoole, his wife Helena, and seven children and five servants, settled in Pennsylvania in 1683.
- Forrest Claypool, American Democratic Party politician, current President of the Chicago Transit Authority
- Horatio Clifford Claypool (1859-1921), American politician, U.S. Representative from Ohio (1911-1915), father of Harold Kile Claypool
- Harold Kile Claypool (1886-1958), American politician, U.S. Representative from Ohio (1937-1943), son of Horatio Clifford Claypool
- Ralph LeClair Claypool (1898-1969), professional American football offensive lineman
- Philip Claypool, American country music artist
- Harry Claypool, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 21st District, 1964
- Harold Kile Claypool (1886-1958), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from Ohio 11th District, 1937-43
- Garrett S. Claypool, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1924, 1944, 1948
- Benjamin Franklin Claypool (1825-1888), American Republican politician, Member of Indiana State Senate, 1861-63; Presidential Elector for Indiana, 1864, 1868; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Indiana, 1874
- Abraham Claypool, American politician, Member of Ohio State Senate, 1803-05, 1806-08
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
The Claypool Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Claypool Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 January 2016 at 09:13.
on orders of $85 or more