Christoffer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Christoffer was spawned by the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture that ruled a majority of Britain. It comes from Christopher, an ancient and popular personal name which has been popular for many years as literally, the name means 'Bearer of Christ'.
Early Origins of the Christoffer family
The surname Christoffer was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Christoffer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Christoffer research. Another 69 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Christoffer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Christoffer Spelling Variations
Christoffer has been spelled many different ways. Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Many variations of the name Christoffer have been found, including Christopher, Cristopher and others.
Early Notables of the Christoffer family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Christoffer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Christoffer family to Ireland
Some of the Christoffer family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Christoffer migration to the United States
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Christoffers to arrive on North American shores:
Typical Christoffer Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Christoffer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Christoffer, who arrived in America in 1836 
- Gerh Heinr Christoffer, who landed in America in 1837 
- Fr W Christoffer, who arrived in America in 1841 
- Bernh Fr Christoffer, who landed in America in 1843 
- Ernst Heinr Christoffer, who landed in America in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Christoffer (post 1700)
- Rasmus Christoffer Elm (b. 1988), Swedish footballer
- Christoffer Christian Karsten (1756-1827), Swedish opera singer
- Christoffer Edlund (b. 1987), Swedish Bandy (Russian hockey) player
- Christoffer Jensen (b. 1987), Norwegian singer
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)