The origins of the Anglo-Saxon
name Chopra come from its first bearer, who was a person noted for enjoying strong drink. The surname Chopra is derived from the Old French word chopine,
which was an old medieval measure of liquid; referred to as "the Parisien halfe pint", it was nearly as large as an English pint. In modern times, the Old French word chopiner
means to tipple.
The surname Chopra may also be a patronymic
name derived from the personal name Chopin.
Early Origins of the Chopra family
The surname Chopra was first found in Devon
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Chopra family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Chopra research.Another 133 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1219, 1280, 1327, 1377, 1781 and 1789 are included under the topic Early Chopra History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Chopra Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred
years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Chopra has been spelled many different ways, including Chopping, Choppin, Chopyn, Chopin, Choppen and others.
Early Notables of the Chopra family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Chopra Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Chopra family to Ireland
Some of the Chopra family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 37 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Chopra family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Chopras to arrive in North America: William Choppin who arrived in New York City in 1830.
Contemporary Notables of the name Chopra (post 1700)
- Deepak Chopra (b. 1946), American author, public speaker, alternative medicine advocate
- Rocky Michael Chopra (b. 1983), known as Michael Chopra, an English professional footballer
- Aakash Chopra (b. 1977), former Indian cricketer
- Sherlyn Chopra (b. 1984), Indian model and actress
- Yash Raj Chopra (1932-2012), Indian film director and film producer
- Baldev Raj Chopra (1914-2008), Indian director and producer of Bollywood movies and television serials
- Priyanka Chopra (b. 1982), Indian actress, singer, film producer, philanthropist, and the winner of the Miss World 2000 pageant
- Parineeti Chopra (b. 1988), Indian actress and singer
- Shiv Chopra, Canadian microbiologist and human rights activist