Chantrey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The many generations and branches of the Chantrey family can all place the origins of their surname with the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. Their name reveals that an early member worked as a person who worked at the church and was in charge of providing songs or chants for mass having derived from the Old French word chanterie.
Early Origins of the Chantrey family
The surname Chantrey was first found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Chantrey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Chantrey research. Another 107 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1445, 1465, 1662, 1781, 1789, 1803, 1781 and 1841 are included under the topic Early Chantrey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Chantrey Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Chantrey were recorded, including Chantrey, Chauntre, Chauntrey, Chauntree, Chantree, Chantrie, Chantre and many more.
Early Notables of the Chantrey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Chantrey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Chantrey migration to the United States +
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Chantrey family emigrate to North America:
Chantrey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Chantrey who arrived in Virginia in 1623
Chantrey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Sidney Chantrey, aged 29, who landed in America from Rochdale, England, in 1909
- George Henry Chantrey, aged 37, who landed in America from Hove, England, in 1921
- Samuel Chantrey, aged 60, who immigrated to America from Llandudno, Wales, in 1923
Contemporary Notables of the name Chantrey (post 1700) +
- Sir Francis Legatt Chantrey (1781-1842), English sculptor, born near Norton, Derbyshire, on 7 April 1781, son of a carpenter and small farmer residing at Jordanthorpe, near Sheffield 
Related Stories +
- ^ Wikisource contributors. "Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900." Wikisource . Wikisource , 4 Jun. 2018. Web. 25 Nov. 2019