on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Chalfant family come from? What is the English Chalfant family crest and coat of arms? When did the Chalfant family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Chalfant family history?The origins of the Chalfant name lie with England's ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. It comes from when the family lived in one of two parishes in the county of Buckinghamshire: Chalfont St. Giles and Chalfont St. Peter.
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Chalfant were recorded, including Chalfont, Chalfhunte, Chalfonte, Chalfehunt, Chaffaunt, Challfont and many more.
First found in Buckinghamshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Chalfant research. Another 500 words (36 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1284, 1334, 1500, 1570, 1662, and 1689 are included under the topic Early Chalfant History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Chalfant Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Chalfant family emigrate to North America:
Chalfant Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- David Chalfant, who arrived in Mississippi in 1799
Chalfant Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Geo. A. Chalfant, aged 60, who settled in America, in 1903
- Henry Chalfant, aged 31, who emigrated to the United States, in 1905
- Eleanor Chalfant, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1906
- Frank C. Chalfant, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1910
- Albert Chalfant, aged 60, who landed in America, in 1911
- William Chalfant, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 14th District, 1863, 1865-66
- Thomas Chalfant, American Democrat politician, Member of Pennsylvania State Senate, 1873-75
- John W. Chalfant, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1876; Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1876
- Ida R. Chalfant, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1952
- Herschel H. Chalfant, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Jackson County 2nd District, 1950
- George O. Chalfant, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1964
- George A. Chalfant, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1904
- Clyde Chalfant, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1964
- Jefferson David Chalfant (1856-1931), American painter from Chester County, Pennsylvania
- Kevin Chalfant, American BMI Award winning singer-songwriter
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Chalfant Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Chalfant Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 October 2015 at 10:57.
on orders of $85 or more