The ancestors of the Catlow surname lived among the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture. The name comes from when they lived in Catlow,
in the county of Lancashire
. This place-name is traceable to the Old English terms hlaw,
which means a low hill,
which means cat.
Early Origins of the Catlow family
The surname Catlow was first found in Lancashire
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Catlow family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Catlow research.Another 365 words (26 lines of text) covering the years 1332, 1500, and 1642 are included under the topic Early Catlow History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Catlow Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago, spelling variations
of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Catlow include Catlow, Catlowe, Cathlow, Cathlowe, Cautlow, Catloe, Cattlow and many more.
Early Notables of the Catlow family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Catlow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Catlow family to the New World and Oceana
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Catlow Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- T. Catlow who arrived in Philadelphia in 1875
- Watson Catlow, aged 22, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Catlow Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Charles Catlow, aged 53, who settled in America from Denton, England, in 1907
- Elizabeth Catlow, aged 44, who emigrated to the United States from Denton, England, in 1907
- Alfred Catlow, aged 24, who landed in America from Denton, England, in 1912
- Jane Catlow, aged 16, who landed in America from Denton, England, in 1912
- Lena Catlow, aged 20, who settled in America from Denton, England, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Catlow Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Jones Catlow, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Thomas Lowry" in 1848 CITATION[CLOSE]
State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) THOMAS LOWRY 1848. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1848ThomasLowry.htm
Contemporary Notables of the name Catlow (post 1700)
- Wright Catlow, American businessman who opened The Catlow Theater, a historic single-screen movie theater Barrington, Illinois in 1927, designed in the Tudor Revival style complete with sculpted gargoyle-like heads, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Charles Stanley Catlow (1908-1986), English cricketer
- Richard "Charles" Arthur Catlow FRS, British chemist, Director of the Davy-Faraday Laboratories of the Royal Institution of Great Britain and Head of the Department of Chemistry of University College London