Cardew History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Cardew family
The surname Cardew was first found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Cardew family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cardew research. Another 189 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1332, 1376, 1500, 1602 and 1694 are included under the topic Early Cardew History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cardew Spelling Variations
Medieval Scottish names are rife with spelling variations. This is due to the fact that scribes in that era spelled according to the sound of words, rather than any set of rules. Cardew has been spelled Cardew, Cardewe, Caredew, Caredewe, Cardue, Carduwe and many more.
Early Notables of the Cardew family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cardew Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Cardew migration to the United States ||+|
Many Scots were left with few options other than to leave their homeland for the colonies across the Atlantic. Some of these families fought to defend their newfound freedom in the American War of Independence. Others went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of all of these families have recently been able to rediscover their roots through Clan societies and other Scottish organizations. Among them:
Cardew Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- David Cardew, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1769
| Cardew migration to Australia ||+|
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Cardew Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mrs. Elizabeth Cardew, (b. 1819), aged 23 born in Truro, Cornwall, UK convicted in Devon on 22nd February 1842, sentenced for 14 years for stealing from a person, transported aboard the ship "Royal Admiral" in 1842 to Van Diemen's Land, Tasmania, Australia 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Cardew (post 1700) ||+|
- Peter Cardew (1939-2020), English-born, Canadian architect, principal of Peter Cardew Architects based in Vancouver, British Columbia
- Cornelius Cardew (1936-1981), English avant-garde composer, son of Michael Cardew
- Seth Cardew (1934-2016), English studio potter, eldest son of Michael Cardew
- Michael Cardew (1901-1982), English famous potter and ceramic stylist
- Alfred Cardew Dixon FRS (1865-1936), English mathematician