Calkin History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Calkin is tied to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of England. It comes from the given name Nicholas. Col was a common diminutive of the name Nicholas, and kin was often used to denote "son of." The name as a whole meant "son of Nicholas."
Early Origins of the Calkin family
The surname Calkin was first found in Kent, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Calkin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Calkin research. Another 29 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1272, 1293 and 1300 are included under the topic Early Calkin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Calkin Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Calkin has undergone many spelling variations, including Colkin, Colkins, Colekyn, Colkyn, Colking, Calking and many more.
Early Notables of the Calkin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Calkin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Calkin migration to the United States
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Calkin were among those contributors:
Calkin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Hugh Calkin, who arrived in New London, Connecticut in 1638 
Contemporary Notables of the name Calkin (post 1700)
- Samuel Calkin, American politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 15th District in 2010
- R. C. Calkin, American politician, Alternate delegate to Republican National Convention from Oklahoma, 1956
- Alonzo A. Calkin, American politician, Chair of Sullivan County Republican Party, 1910
- Allan G. Calkin, American politician, Alternate delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1980
- Hervey Chittenden Calkin (1828-1913), American politician, U.S. Representative from New York
- Samuel Calkin, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 15th District, 2010 
- R. C. Calkin, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Oklahoma, 1956 
- Hervey Chittenden Calkin (1828-1913), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from New York 7th District, 1869-71 
- Alonzo A. Calkin, American Republican politician, Chair of Sullivan County Republican Party, 1910 
- Allan G. Calkin, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1980 
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 16) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html