Caimbeul History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The history of the name Caimbeul begins in the Scottish/English Borderlands with a family of Strathclyde-Briton ancestry. It is a name for a person with a crooked mouth, or crooked smile. This nickname surname is derived from the Gaelic words cam and beul, meaning crooked and mouth. Nicknames could be derived from various sources. In general, they came from the physical characteristics, behavior, mannerisms and other attributes of the bearer.
Early Origins of the Caimbeul family
The surname Caimbeul was first found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute. Researchers suggest a joint progenitor of both the Campbells and the MacArthurs. The MacArthurs were the ancient senior sept of the Campbells. Arthur derives from the son of King Aedan MacGabhran, the 9th century Scots King of Argyll. The Clan Campbell was known as the Siol Diarmaid an Tuirc or, alternatively, the Clan Duibhne, and in a Crown charter Duncan MacDuibhne was ancestor of the Lords of Lochow in 1368.
Sir Colin Campbell, son of Sir Archibald, was succeeded by Sir Duncan in 1427. Sir Duncan's second son, Black Colin of Glenorchy founded the Campbells of Breadalbane. He built the castle of Caolchurn and married Margeret Stewart, heiress of the Lords of Lorn. After the Battle of Harlaw in 1411 in which the MacDonalds were badly defeated by the King, the Campbells, took advantage of the situation to acquire more territory from the MacDonalds.
In 1517 the Campbells and the MacLeans of Duart were called upon by the Crown to again suppress the Lord of the Isles, MacDonald of Lochalsh, who had seized two Royal Castles. Lochalsh went to the scaffold and the Campbells acquired more land. Their Chiefs were bestowed with knighthoods, baronies and Earldoms. The Earl of Argyll becoming Chancellor of Scotland to James IV, and through his influence achieved a measure of peace throughout the Highlands.
Early History of the Caimbeul family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Caimbeul research. Another 244 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1437, 1701, 1878, 1437, 1607, 1661, 1629, 1685, 1630, 1696, 1701, 1636, 1717, 1757, 1662, 1609, 1610, 1662, 1668, 1663, 1699 and are included under the topic Early Caimbeul History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Caimbeul Spelling Variations
Medieval Scottish names are rife with spelling variations. This is due to the fact that scribes in that era spelled according to the sound of words, rather than any set of rules. Caimbeul has been spelled Campbell, Cambell, Cambel, Camble, Cammell and many more.
Early Notables of the Caimbeul family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Sir Duncan Campbell, the first Earl in 1437; Archibald Campbell, 1st Marquis of Argyll, 8th Earl of Argyll, chief of Clan Campbell, (1607-1661); and his son, Archibald Campbell, 9th Earl of Argyll (1629-1685), a Scottish peer; Robert Campbell, 5th Laird of Glenlyon (1630-1696), Scottish noble, best known as one of the commanding officers at the Massacre of Glencoe; Sir Archibald Campbell, who became the first Duke of Argyll in 1701; John Campbell, 1st Earl of Breadalbane and Holland (1636-1717), known as "Slippery John", Scottish peer during the Glorious...
Migration of the Caimbeul family to Ireland
Some of the Caimbeul family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Migration of the Caimbeul family
Many Scots were left with few options other than to leave their homeland for the colonies across the Atlantic. Some of these families fought to defend their newfound freedom in the American War of Independence. Others went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of all of these families have recently been able to rediscover their roots through Clan societies and other Scottish organizations. Among them: Neil Campbel, who was a "Scotch prisoner" sent to New Jersey in 1685 by order of the English government in 1651; Agnes Campbell, who arrived at New York in 1774 with her two children.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Ne obliviscaris
Motto Translation: Forget not.