Cagle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Cagle family
The surname Cagle was first found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where the family has been a prominent family for centuries, and held a family seat with lands and manor. The family were well established in the region of Calvados and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles, and letters patent confirming their nobility. The name is derived from the occupational name for a player on the fiddle, from the word "geige" meaning "fiddle."
Early History of the Cagle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cagle research. Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1685, 1774, 1854, 1555, 1622, 1577, 1580, 1589, 1581 and 1583 are included under the topic Early Cagle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cagle Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gager, Gagern, Gagers, Gage, Gages, Gagge, Geiger and many more.
Early Notables of the Cagle family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family in this period was William Gager (1555-1622), an English jurist, now known for his Latin dramas. He was a nephew of Sir William Cordell, Master of the Rolls. " He proceeded B.A. 4 Dec. 1577, M.A. 5 June 1580, and B.C.L. and D.C.L. 30 June 1589 (Oxford Univ. Reg., Oxford Hist. Soc., ii. iii. 70). Gager soon proved a facile Latin verse writer, and wrote a...
Another 70 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cagle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Cagle is the 2,251st most popular surname with an estimated 14,922 people with that name. 
Migration of the Cagle family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: including many of the name who migrated to the New World from the mid 17th century onward.
Contemporary Notables of the name Cagle (post 1700) +
- Myrtle "Kay" Thompson Cagle (1925-2019), American pilot and one of the Mercury 13 female astronauts group
- Colonel Yvonne Darlene Cagle M.D. (b. 1959), American Air Force officer and NASA astronaut
- Chris Cagle (b. 1968), American country music artist
- Harald D. Cagle (1913-1977), former American Olympic athlete
- Lowell S. "Casey" Cagle (b. 1966), American politician, the 11th Lieutenant Governor of Georgia
- Christian "Red" Keener Cagle (1905-1942), professional American football halfback and quarterback
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Cagle +
- The Cagle Families of Cherokee and Pickens Counties, Georgia by Charles O. Walker.
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm