on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Burford family come from? What is the English Burford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Burford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Burford family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Burford comes from the family having resided in the region of Burford in parishes in Oxfordshire and Salop.
Burford has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Burford, Bareford, Berford, Barford, Buford, Burfort and many more.
First found in Shropshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burford research. Another 285 words (20 lines of text) covering the year 1329 is included under the topic Early Burford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Burford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Burford family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Burfords to arrive on North American shores:
Burford Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Burford, who came to Virginia in 1637
- Wm Burford, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- George Burford settled in Virginia in 1643
- Geo, Burford Jr., who landed in Virginia in 1643
- Georg Burford, who arrived in Virginia in 1643
Burford Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Gervaise Burford, who came to Annapolis in 1773
- Edward Burford who settled in Maryland in 1775
Burford Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Burford, aged 54, landed in New York in 1812
- Peter Burford, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- Josiah Burford, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- Eli Burford, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- N Burford, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Burford Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Jabez Burford arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "lady Emma" in 1837
- Rebecca Burford arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "lady Emma" in 1837
- Emma Burford arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "lady Emma" in 1837
- Thomas Burford arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- Elizabeth Burford arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
Burford Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Robert Burford, aged 18, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Birman" in 1842
- W. H. Burford, American Republican politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Mississippi, 1956
- Rose Ferguson Burford, American Republican politician, Member of West Virginia Republican State Executive Committee, 1937-41
- Robert F. Burford (1923-1993), American politician, Member of Colorado State House of Representatives, 1975-80; Speaker of the Colorado State House of Representatives, 1979-80
- John Henry Burford (1852-1922), American politician, Member of Oklahoma State Senate, 1912-15
- J. M. Burford, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1916
- Frank Burford, American Republican politician, Candidate for Circuit Judge in West Virginia for the 12th Judicial Circuit, 1968
- Elizabeth S. Burford, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Fayette County, 1970
- Dorothy Wright Burford, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Missouri, 1956
- Blanton W. Burford, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Tennessee, 1900
- Nathaniel Macon Burford (1824-1898), American politician, Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives between 1866 and 1869
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
The Burford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Burford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 November 2015 at 19:53.
on orders of $85 or more