100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
Buford is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon
origin and comes from a family once having lived in the region of Burford in parishes in Oxfordshire
The surname Buford was first found in Shropshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Buford has been recorded under many different variations, including Burford, Bareford, Berford, Barford, Buford, Burfort and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Buford research. Another 285 words (20 lines of text) covering the year 1329 is included under the topic Early Buford History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Buford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Buford family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England
made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Buford or a variant listed above:
Buford Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Buford, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Buford Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Y Buford, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- Mrs. M. P. Buford, aged 44, who emigrated to America, in 1892
- Joseph S. Buford, aged 46, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
Buford Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Eleanor Roy Buford, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1903
- C. N. Buford, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- Charlotte Buford, aged 60, who landed in America, in 1907
- Blanche Buford, aged 50, who landed in America, in 1907
- Lucy D. Buford, aged 54, who settled in America, in 1907
- George "Mojo" Buford (1929-2011), American blues harmonica player, best known for his work in Muddy Waters band
- Algernon Sidney Buford (1826-1911), American president of the Richmond and Danville Railroad
- Joe Buford (b. 1967), American NASCAR racecar driver from Franklin, Tennessee
- Maury Anthony Buford (b. 1960), American NFL football punter
- Napoleon Bonaparte Buford (1807-1883), American soldier, Union general in the American Civil War
- William Buford (b. 1990), American basketball player
- Abraham Buford (1747-1833), Continental Army officer during the American Revolutionary War, commanding officer of the American forces at the Battle of Waxhaws
- Damon Buford (b. 1970), American retired Major League Baseball player
- Bill Buford (b. 1954), American author and journalist
- Donald Alvin Buford (b. 1937), American former Major League Baseball player
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Buford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Buford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 March 2016 at 18:08.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!