100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the English Buford family come from? What is the English Buford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Buford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Buford family history?Buford is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon origin and comes from a family once having lived in the region of Burford in parishes in Oxfordshire and Salop.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Buford has been recorded under many different variations, including Burford, Bareford, Berford, Barford, Buford, Burfort and many more.
First found in Shropshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Buford research. Another 285 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1329 is included under the topic Early Buford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Buford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Buford family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 114 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Buford or a variant listed above:
Buford Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Buford, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Buford Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Y Buford, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- Mrs. M. P. Buford, aged 44, who emigrated to America, in 1892
- Joseph S. Buford, aged 46, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
Buford Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Eleanor Roy Buford, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1903
- C. N. Buford, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- Charlotte Buford, aged 60, who landed in America, in 1907
- Blanche Buford, aged 50, who landed in America, in 1907
- Lucy D. Buford, aged 54, who settled in America, in 1907
- John Buford Jr. (1826-1863), Union cavalry officer during the American Civil War
- Brigadier General Abraham "Abe" Buford II (1820-1884), American soldier and Thoroughbred horse breeder from Woodford County, Kentucky
- Rodney Alan "The Sheriff" Buford (b. 1977), American professional basketball player
- Donald Alvin Buford (b. 1937), American former Major League Baseball player
- Bill Buford (b. 1954), American author and journalist
- Damon Buford (b. 1970), American retired Major League Baseball player
- Abraham Buford (1747-1833), Continental Army officer during the American Revolutionary War, commanding officer of the American forces at the Battle of Waxhaws
- William Buford (b. 1990), American basketball player
- Napoleon Bonaparte Buford (1807-1883), American soldier, Union general in the American Civil War
- Maury Anthony Buford (b. 1960), American NFL football punter
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
The Buford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Buford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 March 2015 at 16:24.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!