Many variations of the name Brazel have evolved since the time of its initial creation. In Gaelic it appeared as O Breasail, possibly from the word bres, which means strife.
Early Origins of the Brazel family
The surname Brazel was first found in County Armagh
(Irish: Ard Mhacha) located in the province of Ulster
in present day Northern Ireland
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times. They were descended from Fiachrach Casan, the progenitor of the Clann Brassil, he was the son of King Colla da Crioch, one of Ireland's greatest kings, who was banished to the Hebrides
in 327 A.D. after losing his fight for the High Kingship for all Ireland
. Colla da Crioch returned to Ireland
Early History of the Brazel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brazel research.Another 176 words (13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Brazel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brazel Spelling Variations
Pronunciation, rather than spelling, guided scribes and church officials when recording names during the Middle Ages. This practice often resulted in one person's name being recorded under several different spellings. Numerous spelling variations
of the surname Brazel are preserved in these old documents. The various spellings of the name that were found include Brassil, Brassell, Brassilagh, Breasal, Brazil, Brazell, Braslan and many more.
Early Notables of the Brazel family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Brazel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Brazel family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Brazel Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Brazel from Bray in County Wicklow, Ireland settled in St. John's, Newfoundland in 1817 CITATION[CLOSE]
Seary E.R., Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland, Montreal: McGill's-Queen's Universtity Press 1998 ISBN 0-7735-1782-0
Contemporary Notables of the name Brazel (post 1700)
- William "Mac" Brazel, American nephew of Jesse Wayne Brazel; he allegedly found strange debris on his ranch some 70 miles northwest of Roswell in July 1947
- Jesse Wayne Brazel (1876-1913), American Old West ranch hand who fatally shot former lawman Pat Garrett, renowned for killing Billy the Kid
- James Brazel, Australian jurist, Judge of the Supreme Court of South Australia
Brazel Family Crest Products
- ^ Seary E.R., Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland, Montreal: McGill's-Queen's Universtity Press 1998 ISBN 0-7735-1782-0