Origins Available: Irish-Alt
Many variations of the name Branan have evolved since the time of its initial creation. In Gaelic it appeared as "O Braondin," from the word "braon," which has several meanings, possibly meaning "sorrow" in this case.
Early Origins of the Branan family
The surname Branan was first found in County Kilkenny
(Irish: Cill Chainnigh), the former Kingdom of Osraige (Ossory), located in Southeastern Ireland
in the province of Leinster
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest
Early History of the Branan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Branan research.Another 497 words (36 lines of text) covering the years 1014, 1172, 1395, 1520, 1600, 1832, 1625, 1693, 1768, 1830 and 1794 are included under the topic Early Branan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Branan Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Brennan, McBrennan, Brannon, Brannan, Brannen, Brannin, Brennyn, Brannyn, MacBrennan, Brenan, Branon, Branan, Branen and many more.
Early Notables of the Branan family (pre 1700)
Notable among the family name at this time was Sir Art O'Brennan of Castlecomer Castle; Most Rev. John Brennan (1625-1693), Bishop of Waterford
and Archbishop of Cashel; John Brennan (1768-1830)... Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Branan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Branan family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Branan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Branan, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1844 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Branan Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mary Branan, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Wellington, in 1903
- Nellie Branan, aged 20, who emigrated to America from Ireland, in 1909
- Michael J. Branan, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1911
- John Branan, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Ireland, in 1911
- George H. Branan, aged 33, who settled in America from Shepley, England, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Branan (post 1700)
- Cory Branan (b. 1974), American singer-songwriter from Southaven, Mississippi
- Brett Branan (b. 1983), American soccer defender
- Dustin Branan (b. 1981), retired American soccer defender