100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Bramlett family come from? What is the English Bramlett family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bramlett family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bramlett family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Bramlett comes from the family having resided in Yorkshire where Bramley was a local name 'of Brambley,' a chapelry and village near Leeds.
Bramlett has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Bramley, Bramlie, Bramble, Brambley and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bramlett research. Another 226 words(16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bramlett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bramlett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Bramletts to arrive on North American shores:
Bramlett Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Samuel Bramlett, aged 18, who landed in America, in 1919
- Frieda Bramlett, aged 37, who arrived at Dallas, Texas, in 1923
- Bonnie Bramlett (b. 1944), American singer
- Aaron J. Bramlett (b. 1977), American professional basketball player
- Bekka Bramlett (b. 1968), American singer, daughter of Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett
- Bonnie Bramlett (b. 1944), born Bonnie Lynn O'Farrell, American pop and rock singer, co-founder of Delaney & Bonnie & Friends
- David A. Bramlett (b. 1941), retired American army general officer, Commander of U.S. Army Forces Command (1996 to 1998)
- Delaney Bramlett (1939-2008), American singer, songwriter, and producer, co-founder of Delaney & Bonnie & Friends
- John Bramlett (b. 1941), American professional AFL and NFL football player
- The Ancestors of Harriett Chrisman Ross (including the Bramlett Family) by John Hal Connor.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Bramlett Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bramlett Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 May 2015 at 22:11.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!