on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Bramble family come from? What is the English Bramble family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bramble family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bramble family history?The name Bramble has a long Anglo-Saxon heritage. The name comes from when a family lived in Yorkshire where Bramley was a local name 'of Brambley,' a chapelry and village near Leeds.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Bramble have been found, including Bramley, Bramlie, Bramble, Brambley and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bramble research. Another 226 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bramble History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bramble Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Bramble, or a variant listed above:
Bramble Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Bramble, who landed in Maryland in 1663
- John Bramble, who arrived in Maryland in 1680
Bramble Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Bramble, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
Bramble Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Bramble arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John Munn" in 1849
- Jane Bramble arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Mary Ann" in 1849
Bramble Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Bramble arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hermione" in 1883
- C. Bramble arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ionic" in 1884
- Mark Bramble (b. 1950), American three-time Tony Award nominated theatre director, author, and producer
- Kevin Bramble (b. 1972), American two-time gold medalist Paralympic ski racer and freeskier
- James Henry Bramble, American mathematician
- Curtis Scott Bramble (b. 1957), American politician
- Tesfaye Walda Simeon "Tes" Bramble (b. 1980), English-born, Montserratian footballer
- Titus Malachi Bramble (b. 1981), English footballer
- Percival Austin Bramble (b. 1931), Montserrat politician
- Livingstone "Ras-I Alujah" Bramble (b. 1960), Saint Kitts and Nevis boxer
- Albert Victor Bramble (1887-1963), British actor and film director
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Bramble Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bramble Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 October 2014 at 20:29.
on orders of $85 or more