100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Bramble family come from? What is the English Bramble family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bramble family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bramble family history?The name Bramble has a long Anglo-Saxon heritage. The name comes from when a family lived in Yorkshire where Bramley was a local name 'of Brambley,' a chapelry and village near Leeds.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Bramble have been found, including Bramley, Bramlie, Bramble, Brambley and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bramble research. Another 226 words(16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bramble History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bramble Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Bramble, or a variant listed above:
Bramble Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Bramble, who landed in Maryland in 1663
- John Bramble, who arrived in Maryland in 1680
Bramble Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Bramble, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
Bramble Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Bramble arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John Munn" in 1849
- Jane Bramble arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Mary Ann" in 1849
Bramble Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Bramble arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hermione" in 1883
- C. Bramble arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ionic" in 1884
- Curtis Scott Bramble (b. 1957), American politician
- James Henry Bramble, American mathematician
- Kevin Bramble (b. 1972), American two-time gold medalist Paralympic ski racer and freeskier
- Mark Bramble (b. 1950), American three-time Tony Award nominated theatre director, author, and producer
- Titus Malachi Bramble (b. 1981), English footballer
- Tesfaye Walda Simeon "Tes" Bramble (b. 1980), English-born, Montserratian footballer
- Albert Victor Bramble (1887-1963), British actor and film director
- Livingstone "Ras-I Alujah" Bramble (b. 1960), Saint Kitts and Nevis boxer
- Percival Austin Bramble (b. 1931), Montserrat politician
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
The Bramble Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bramble Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 October 2014 at 20:29.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!