Bowdish History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Bowdish is an old Anglo-Saxon name. It comes from when a family lived in the settlement of Bowditch, an estate in the county of Dorset.
Early Origins of the Bowdish family
The surname Bowdish was first found in Dorset, in southern England, where they held a family seat from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
Early History of the Bowdish family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bowdish research. Another 52 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1773, and 1838 are included under the topic Early Bowdish History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bowdish Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Bowdish were recorded, including Bowditch, Bowdich, Bowdidge and others.
Early Notables of the Bowdish family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bowdish Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bowdish family
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Bowdish family emigrate to North America: Walter Bowditch arrived in Philadelphia in 1878; James Bowdidge settled in New England in 1774.
Contemporary Notables of the name Bowdish (post 1700) +
- Deanna Bowdish, American artist and gallery owner
- Chuck Bowdish, American artist
- Lynea Bowdish, American author
- John Bowdish, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Montgomery County, 1843 
- Isaac W. Bowdish, American politician, U.S. Consul in Constantinople, 1856-57 
- Gamaliel Bowdish, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Montgomery County, 1847 
- Cyrus G. Bowdish, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from St. Joseph District, 1944 
- Dawn Bowdish, Canadian Assistant Professor of Pathology and Molecular Medicine at the University of British Columbia
- John Bowdish Dutcher (1830-1911), American farmer, businessman, banker and politician, Member of the New York State Assembly (1861-1862), New York State Senator (1864-1865)
Related Stories +