Bommer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Bommer is rooted in the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. It was originally a name for someone who worked as a cottager or someone who was a tenant.
Early Origins of the Bommer family
The surname Bommer was first found in Somerset, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Bommer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bommer research. Another 150 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1201, 1296, 1349, 1369, 1570 and 1647 are included under the topic Early Bommer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bommer Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Bommer are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Bommer include Border, Borders, Boarder, Bordere, Bowrder, Bordder and many more.
Early Notables of the Bommer family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bommer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bommer migration to the United States +
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Bommer or a variant listed above:
Bommer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Heinrich Bommer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1738 
- Johan Adam Bommer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738 
- Andreas Bommer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754 
Bommer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Bommer, who arrived in New York in 1845 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)