Bollney History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Bollney family
The surname Bollney was first found in Suffolk where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
Early History of the Bollney family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bollney research. Another 130 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1103, 1177, 1449, 1560, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Bollney History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bollney Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore,spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Bollney has been recorded under many different variations, including Bolney, Bollney, Bolnie, Bollnie, Belney and others.
Early Notables of the Bollney family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bollney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bollney family
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Bollney or a variant listed above: Eugenie Belney, aged 55, who arrived at Ellis Island, in 1894.