Bogue History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the Bogue surname reach back to the language of the Viking settlers who populated the rugged shores of Scotland in the Medieval era. The Bogue surname comes from someone having lived in a place noted for the presence of a ridge that formed a boundary between two distinct areas. It comes from a variant of the word boak or balk, of the same meaning. While historians generally agree upon the aforementioned topographical derivation, most believe that this name actually came from the area called Boak in the parish of Kirkholm.
Early Origins of the Bogue family
The surname Bogue was first found in Berwickshire an ancient county of Scotland, presently part of the Scottish Borders Council Area, located in the eastern part of the Borders Region of Scotland, where they held a family seat from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
Early History of the Bogue family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bogue research. Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1546, 1576, 1632, 1683 and are included under the topic Early Bogue History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bogue Spelling Variations
Few standards of spelling and translation existed in the Middle Ages. spelling variations, are thus, an extremely common occurrence in records of ancient Scottish names. Over the years, Bogue has been spelled Boag, Boig, Book, Boack, Boge, Bogue, Boak, Bouk, Bouck, Bogues, Bogg, Boggs and many more.
Early Notables of the Bogue family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bogue Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bogue family to Ireland
Some of the Bogue family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bogue migration to the United States +
Land and opportunity greeted all those who made it across the Atlantic. These settlers and their children went on to play important roles in the forging of the great nations of the United States and Canada. Clan societies and other Scottish organizations have preserved much of this heritage for the ancestors of those brave Scots. Immigration and passenger lists have documented the arrival of various people bearing the name Bogue to North America:
Bogue Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Bogue, who landed in Maryland in 1658 
- John Bogue, who landed in Connecticut in 1680 
Bogue Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Bogue, who settled in Philadelphia in 1772
Bogue Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Vincent Augustine Bogue, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1817 
- E Bogue, aged 28, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1832 
- Estevan Bogue, aged 30, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1832 
- Peter Bogue, who arrived in Missouri in 1846 
- Elizabeth Bogue, who settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1850
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Bogue (post 1700) +
- Robert Timothy Bogue (b. 1964), American actor, best known for playing A.C. Mallet on Guiding Light from 2005 to 2009
- Virgil Gay Bogue (1846-1916), American railroad engineer, built the Northern Pacific and Puget Sound Shore Railroad
- William F. Bogue, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bozrah, 1891-92 
- Hilbert David Bogue (1902-1996), American Republican politician, Livestock feeder; Member of South Dakota State Senate 6th District, 1955-62; President Pro Tempore of the South Dakota State Senate, 1961-62 
- H. S. Bogue, American politician, Mayor of Cohoes, New York, 1874-76 
- Frederick Bogue, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Maine, 1936, 1940 (alternate) 
- Edward Bogue, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 5th District, 1931-34 
- Arthur P. Bogue, American politician, Candidate for Circuit Judge in Michigan 6th Circuit, 1953 
- Andrew Wendell Bogue (b. 1919), American politician, U.S. District Judge for South Dakota, 1970-85 
- Andrew S. Bogue, American Republican politician, Member of South Dakota State Senate 6th District, 1929-32; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from South Dakota, 1944 
- ... (Another 5 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 21) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html