on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Block family come from? What is the English Block family crest and coat of arms? When did the Block family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Block family history?The origins of the Block surname are uncertain, but some scholars suggest that the source of the name is the Old English term "bloc," and that the name was originally occupational for "one who blocks," such as a shoemaker or bookbinder.
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Block were recorded, including Bloggs, Blogg, Block, Blocks, Blox, Blogs and others.
First found in Wiltshire where they held a family seat with estates in that shire. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. The first found reference to the Block surname was in the year 1199 when Robert Bloc was listed in the Curia Regis Rolls for Wiltshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Block research. Another 302 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1212, 1275, 1327, 1359, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Block History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Block Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Block family emigrate to North America:
Block Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Steeven Block, aged 18, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Wm Block, aged 23, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Hans Block, aged 44, landed in New York in 1662
- Albert Block, who came to Maryland in 1673
- Elizabeth Block, who arrived in Maryland in 1680
Block Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Frances Block, who came to Virginia in 1714
- Frances Block, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Johannes Block, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Michel Block, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751
- John Henry Block, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1769
Block Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lazarus Block, who landed in North America in 1832
- Simon Jonas Block, aged 35, landed in Harford County, Maryland in 1835
- Simon J Block, aged 35, arrived in Harford County, Maryland in 1837
- Charles Block, who settled in Galveston, TX in 1839
- John C H D Block, aged 23, arrived in Missouri in 1840
Block Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Isidore Block, who landed in Alabama in 1918
Block Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Johann Block arrived in Canada in 1783
Block Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Margaret Block, aged 28, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "British Empire"
- Margaret Block, aged 28, a servant, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "British Empire" in 1850
- Dennis H. Block, American Republican politician, Candidate for Mayor of Chicago, Illinois, 1977
- Charles H. Block (1885-1978), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 6th District, 1945-48
- Doug Block (b. 1954), American Democrat politician, Candidate for Mayor of Rockford, Illinois, 2009
- Ethel L. Block, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1972; Presidential Elector for New York, 1972
- Fred Block, American politician, Candidate for justice of Michigan State Supreme Court, 1916
- Frederic Block (b. 1934), American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly 2nd District, 1965; U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of New York, 1994-
- Fritz C. Block, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Madison County, 1903
- H. M. Block, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Georgia, 1944
- Herbert Block, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Georgia, 1936 (alternate), 1940, 1948 (alternate)
- Jacob W. Block, American politician, Representative from New York 9th District, 1910
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
The Block Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Block Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 December 2014 at 10:01.
on orders of $85 or more