Blenkhorn History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The noble Viking settlers who came to the rocky shores of Scotland in the Middle Ages brought with them the ancestors of the Blenkhorn family. They lived in Blencarne, in the parish of Kirkland, in the county of Cumberland.
Early Origins of the Blenkhorn family
The surname Blenkhorn was first found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Blenkhorn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blenkhorn research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1280 is included under the topic Early Blenkhorn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blenkhorn Spelling Variations
Scottish names from the Middle Ages vary enormously in their spellings. This is a result of the fact that there were no universal standards like dictionaries for scribes to judge by. The recorded spelling variations of the name Blenkhorn include Blenkhorn, Blinckharne, Blencarne, Blincarne, Blankhorne, Blinkarne, Blenken, Blinkhorn and many more.
Early Notables of the Blenkhorn family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Blenkhorn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blenkhorn migration to Canada +
Settlers found farms all along the eastern part of what would become the United States and Canada. They provided a base and a backbone that would strengthen two great nations in the making. In the 20th century, the ancestors of those brave Scots have rediscovered their heritage through highland games and Scottish historical societies. Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the Scottish name Blenkhorn or a variant listed above, including:
Blenkhorn Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Ann Blenkhorn, aged 29, who landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1774
- Eleanor Blenkhorn, aged 1, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1774
- John Blenkhorn, aged 4, who landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1774
- William Blenkhorn, aged 7, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1774
- William Blenkhorn, aged 33, who landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1774
Contemporary Notables of the name Blenkhorn (post 1700) +
- Ada Blenkhorn (1858-1927), American songwriter, best known for her collaborative work on Keep on the Sunny Side, also known as Keep on the Sunny Side of Life, popularized in a 1928, inspired by a phrase used by her nephew who was disabled and always wanted his wheelchair pushed down "the sunny
side" of the street
- Paul Blenkhorn, American professor whop developed Narrator, a screen reader in Microsoft Windows in 1999 making it more accessible for blind and visually impaired users
- Barry William Blenkhorn (b. 1954), American television actor, stage named Barry Williams, best known for his role as Greg Brady on the "The Brady Bunch"
- Leslie Creighton "Les" Blenkhorn (b. 1957), American author
Related Stories +