Blankenhorn History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the Blankenhorn surname reach back to the language of the Viking settlers who populated the rugged shores of Scotland in the Medieval era. The Blankenhorn surname comes from someone having lived in Blencarne, in the parish of Kirkland, in the county of Cumberland.
Early Origins of the Blankenhorn family
The surname Blankenhorn was first found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Blankenhorn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blankenhorn research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1280 is included under the topic Early Blankenhorn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blankenhorn Spelling Variations
Spelling variations are extremely common among Scottish names dating from this era because the arts of spelling and translation were not yet standardized. Spelling was done by sound, and translation from Gaelic to English was generally quite careless. In different records, Blankenhorn has been spelled Blenkhorn, Blinckharne, Blencarne, Blincarne, Blankhorne, Blinkarne, Blenken, Blinkhorn and many more.
Early Notables of the Blankenhorn family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Blankenhorn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blankenhorn migration to the United States +
Those who made the voyage were greeted with ample opportunity to acquire land and a political climate far away from the oppressive monarchy of the old country. They settled along the east coast of what would become Canada and the United States. In the American War of Independence, those who remained loyal to England traveled north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. In this century, many Scots living in North America have begun to recover their rich heritage through festivals, highland games, and Clan societies. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name Blankenhorn:
Blankenhorn Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Frederick Blankenhorn, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750 
Contemporary Notables of the name Blankenhorn (post 1700) +
- David Blankenhorn (b. 1955), American author, founder and president of the Institute for American Values and the author of Fatherless America and The Future of Marriage
- John C. Blankenhorn (1893-1970), American Republican politician, Mayor of Lindenhurst, New York, 1941-47; Defeated, 1937, 1947, 1949 
- Herbert Blankenhorn (1904-1991), German diplomat, West German ambassador to Italy, France and the United Kingdom (1965-1970)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 1) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html