Blanken History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
In the Middle Ages, Viking immigrants settled the shores of Scotland and named many places. The Blanken name was then created from one of these place names. They lived in Blencarne, in the parish of Kirkland, in the county of Cumberland.
Early Origins of the Blanken family
The surname Blanken was first found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Blanken family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blanken research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1280 is included under the topic Early Blanken History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blanken Spelling Variations
Intuition and sound were the primary sources medieval scribes used to judge appropriate spellings and translations for names. The spelling of a name thus varied according to who was doing the recording. The different spelling variations of Blanken include Blenkhorn, Blinckharne, Blencarne, Blincarne, Blankhorne, Blinkarne, Blenken, Blinkhorn and many more.
Early Notables of the Blanken family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Blanken Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blanken migration to the United States +
In their new home, Scots found land and opportunity, and some even fought for their new freedom in the American War of Independence. Some, who remained loyal to the crown went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. In this century, the ancestors of both of these groups have begun recovering their illustrious national heritage through Clan societies and other Scottish historical organizations. Early immigration and passenger lists indicate many people bearing the Blanken name:
Blanken Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Blanken, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1806 
- Jacoba Maria Blanken, aged 4, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Johannes Blanken, aged 30, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Maria Blanken, aged 25, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)