. Further research revealed that the name is derived from
around the county of Dorset.
in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blandford research.Another 58 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1616, 1675, 1662, 1665 and 1671 are included under the topic Early Blandford History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
It is only in the last few hundred
years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon
surnames like Blandford are characterized by many spelling variations
. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Blandford include: Blandford, Blandeford, Blanford and others.
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Blandford or a variant listed above:
Blandford Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Blandford, who settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1620
- John Blandford, who landed in New England in 1641 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- John Blandford, who settled in Jamaica in 1684
- Alexander Blandford, who settled in New England in 1699
Blandford Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Ann Blandford, aged 22, a house maid, who arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Epaminondas" CITATION[CLOSE]
South Australian Register Monday 26th December 1853. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Epaminondas 1853. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/epaminondas1853.shtml.
Blandford Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Emily Blandford, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Maud Blandford, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Rosa Blandford, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- George Blandford, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Eliza Blandford, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)