Blalock History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The history of the name Blalock begins in the Scottish/English Borderlands with a family of Strathclyde-Briton ancestry. It is a name for a person with dark hair. As such, the Blalock surname most likely evolved from a nickname from the Middle English "blakelok," in turn from the Old English blec, meaning "black," or "dark," and locc, meaning a "lock of hair." 
Alternatively, the name could have been derived from Black Loch, location names in Lanark, Renfrew and Stirling. 
Early Origins of the Blalock family
The surname Blalock was first found in Westmorland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Blalock family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blalock research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1275, 1332, 1400, 1483, 1615, 1617, 1637, 1597, 1598, 1721 and 1791 are included under the topic Early Blalock History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blalock Spelling Variations
Medieval Scottish names are rife with spelling variations. This is due to the fact that scribes in that era spelled according to the sound of words, rather than any set of rules. Blalock has been spelled Blacklock, Blakelock, Blacklocke, Blakelocke, Blaikelock, Blaiklock and many more.
Early Notables of the Blalock family (pre 1700)
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Blalock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blalock migration to the United States +
Many Scots were left with few options other than to leave their homeland for the colonies across the Atlantic. Some of these families fought to defend their newfound freedom in the American War of Independence. Others went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of all of these families have recently been able to rediscover their roots through Clan societies and other Scottish organizations. Among them:
Blalock Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Samuel T. Blalock, aged 44, who settled in America, in 1905
- Simeon T. Blalock, aged 48, who immigrated to the United States, in 1908
- James W. Blalock, aged 35, who immigrated to America, in 1912
- John Blalock, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1913
- Elizabeth Blalock, aged 17, who immigrated to the United States, in 1914
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Blalock (post 1700) +
- Justin Christopher Blalock (b. 1983), American football offensive guard for the Atlanta Falcons
- Hubert Morse Blalock Jr. (1926-1991), American sociologist
- Jolene Blalock (b. 1975), American actress, best known for her recurring role on the series Star Trek: Enterprise
- William Leslie "Will" Blalock (b. 1983), American NBA basketball player
- Hank Blalock (b. 1980), American former Major League baseball player who played from 2002 to 2010
- Alfred Blalock (1899-1964), American surgeon, best known for the development of the Blalock-Taussig Shunt
- Jane Blalock (b. 1945), retired LPGA American professional golfer who had 27 LPGA victories
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Blalock +
- 2822 "Blalock and Related Families: Pioneers in Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, and Texas,1597-1988" by Delton D. Blalock, "The Blalocks and Related Families, Cass County, Texas" by Myreline Dailey Bowman.
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Barber, Henry, British Family Names London: Elliot Stock, 62 Paternoster Row, 1894. Print.