Blackstock History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The earliest origins of the name Blackstock are with the Viking settlers of the early Middle Ages; the surname having come from a place named by the Vikings It is a name for someone who lived in Dumfries (now part of the region of Galloway), where the family held lands since the early Middle Ages. The Blackstock surname was a topographic name, from the Middle English word blak(e) meaning "black," and stok meaning "stump."
Early Origins of the Blackstock family
The surname Blackstock was first found in Dumfriesshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Dhùn Phris), a Southern area, bordering on England that today forms part of the Dumfries and Galloway Council Area, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Blackstock family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blackstock research. Another 130 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1517, 1524, 1549, and 1570 are included under the topic Early Blackstock History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blackstock Spelling Variations
Medieval scribes most often spelled names by the way they sounded. spelling variations, are thus, very common in records dating from that time. Over the years, Blackstock has been spelled Blackstock, Blackstok, Blackstocks, Blakstoc and many more.
Early Notables of the Blackstock family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Blackstock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Blackstock is the 7,228th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Migration of the Blackstock family to Ireland
Some of the Blackstock family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blackstock migration to the United States +
The Scottish settlers spread out along the fertile land of the east coast of what would become the United States and Canada. They and many of their children went on to play important roles in the forging of the great nations of the United States and Canada. That heritage has been recovered by many in this century through Clan societies and other Scottish historical organizations. Archival documents indicate that members of the Blackstock family relocated to North American shores quite early:
Blackstock Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Blackstock who settled in Carolina in 1794
Blackstock Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Edward Blackstock, who arrived in South Carolina in 1805
- Edward Blackstock, who arrived in South Carolina in 1805 
- John Blackstock, who arrived in South Carolina in 1810 
- Robert Blackstock, who settled in New York State in 1820
- James Blackstock, who arrived in New York in 1832
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Blackstock (post 1700) +
- Thomas M. Blackstock (1834-1913), Scotch-Irish American immigrant, businessman, and Republican politician, co-founder and president of the Phoenix Chair Company in Sheboygan, Wisconsin
- Darryl Tyger Blackstock (b. 1983), former American football linebacker
- Oni Blackstock, American primary care and HIV physician, researcher, and founder of Health Justice, a racial and health equity consulting practice
- Uché Blackstock, American emergency physician and former Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine at the New York University School of Medicine, founder and CEO of Advancing Health Equity
- Shelby Steven McEntire Blackstock (b. 1990), American race car driver, son of country music singer Reba McEntire and her ex-husband Narvel Blackstock
- Brandon Blackstock, American stepson of Reba McEntire, husband of Kelly Clarkson on October 20, 2013
- Terri Blackstock (b. 1957), American novelist
- Charles F. Blackstock, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1936 
- Thomas Blackstock (1882-1907), Scottish footballer who played as a defender
- Thomas "Tommy" Blackstock (1882-1907), Scottish footballer
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html