In ancient Anglo-Saxon England
, the ancestors of the Blackmon surname lived in or near one of the two towns called Blanchminster
. It is also probable that the name is of nickname
derivation and was used to indicate a man with a dark complexion or dark hair.
Early Origins of the Blackmon family
The surname Blackmon was first found in Kent
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Blackmon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blackmon research.Another 270 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1273, and 1500 are included under the topic Early Blackmon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blackmon Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred
years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon
surnames like Blackmon are characterized by many spelling variations
. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Blackmon include: Blackmonster, Blackemonster, Blackmanstone, Blauncmustre, Blancmustre, Blancmoster and many more.
Early Notables of the Blackmon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Blackmon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Blackmon family to the New World and Oceana
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Blackmon or a variant listed above:
Blackmon Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Blackmon, who landed in Iowa in 1888 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Blackmon Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William Blackmon, aged 38, who emigrated to America, in 1917
- Olen Blackmon, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Ernest Blackmon, aged 42, who settled in America, in 1919
- Robert Blackmon, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Blackmon (post 1700)
- Tray Blackmon (b. 1985), American former professional football linebacker who played from 2009 to 2012
- Robert Blackmon (b. 1967), former American NFL football safety who played from 1990 to 1998
- Roosevelt Blackmon (b. 1974), American NFL football cornerback who played from 1998 to 1999
- Larry Ernest Blackmon (b. 1956), American lead singer and frontman for the funk and R&B band, Cameo
- Justin Carl Blackmon (b. 1990), American NFL football wide receiver for the Jacksonville Jaguars
- James Blackmon Jr. (b. 1995), American college basketball player
- James Blackmon Sr. (b. 1964), American basketball coach and former college player
- Evelyn Kinnison Blackmon (1924-2014), American realtor and politician, Louisiana State Representative from District 15 (Ouachita Parish) (1984-1988)
- Charles Cobb "Charlie" Blackmon (b. 1986), American Major League Baseball outfielder
- William Edwards Blackmon (b. 1984), American NFL football cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks
- ... (Another 10 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)