Biscum History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Biscum is an old Anglo-Saxon name. It comes from when a family lived in or near the village of Bispham, which lies three miles from Poulton in the Fylde district of the county of Lancashire.
Early Origins of the Biscum family
The surname Biscum was first found in Lancashire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Biscum family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Biscum research. Another 244 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1288, 1332, 1365, 1500, 1670 and 1689 are included under the topic Early Biscum History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Biscum Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Biscum were recorded, including Bispham, Bisspham, Bisphame, Bisfam, Biscomb and many more.
Early Notables of the Biscum family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Biscum Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Biscum family
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Biscum family emigrate to North America: Thomas Biscomb who sailed to Massachusetts in 1768.