100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Billingsley family come from? What is the English Billingsley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Billingsley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Billingsley family history?
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Billingsley include Billingsley, Billingsly, Byllingsley and others.
First found in Shropshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Billingsley research. Another 107 words(8 lines of text) covering the years 160 and 1606 are included under the topic Early Billingsley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 41 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Billingsley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Billingsley or a variant listed above:
Billingsley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas and William Billingsley who settled in Virginia in 1650
- Tho Billingsley, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
- Win Billingsley, who landed in Virginia in 1650
- George Billingsley, who arrived in Virginia in 1681
- Bold Billingsley settled in Barbados in 1690
Billingsley Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Francis Billingsley settled in Virginia in 1735
- Charles Billingsley settled in New England in 1735
- Francis Billingsley, who landed in Virginia in 1735
Billingsley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alexander Billingsley, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
Billingsley Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Richd Billingsley, who landed in Quebec in 1784
- William Devotie Billingsley (1887-1913), American soldier, the first Naval aviator killed in the performance of duty, when he was killed on a test flight
- Barbara Billingsley (1915-2010), American television actress best known for playing June Clever on "Leave it to Beaver"
- John Billingsley (b. 1960), American actor
- Chad Ryan Billingsley (b. 1984), American Major League Baseball player
- Frederic Crockett Billingsley (1921-2002), American engineer
- Peter Billingsley (b. 1971), American actor, director, and producer best known for his role as Ralphie in the movie A Christmas Story (1983)
- John Billingsley (1747-1811), English agricultural pioneer
- John Billingsley (1747-1811), English agricultural pioneer from Somerset
- William Billingsley (1758-1828), English porcelain painter
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Billingsley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Billingsley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 September 2014 at 11:37.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!