on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The origins of the Bickley name come from when the Anglo-Saxon
tribes ruled over Britain. The name Bickley was originally derived from a family having lived in the town of Bickley in the county of Devon
. This place-name is derived from the Anglo Saxon personal name Bicca
and the Old English word leigh,
meaning wooded area.
The surname Bickley was first found in Devon
, where they had been from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Bickley include Bickley, Bickle, Bickler, Bickleigh, Bigley, Bigly, Biglay and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bickley research. Another 205 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1400, 1661, 1754, 1415, 1426, 1529, 1518, 1596, 1569, 1585, 1586, 1596, 1582, 1670, 1623, 1681, 1644, 1687, 1667 and 1746 are included under the topic Early Bickley History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 143 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bickley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Bickley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Bickley settled in Virginia in 1624
- Richard Bickley, who landed in Virginia in 1624
- Francis Bickley, who landed in Virginia in 1657
- Thomas Bickley, who arrived in Virginia in 1664
Bickley Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Sarah Bickley settled in Maryland in 1740
- Sarah Bickley who settled in Maryland in 1740
- Joseph Bickley, who landed in Virginia in 1751
Bickley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Bickley, aged 15, arrived in New York in 1830
Bickley Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Bickley, aged 26, a stonemason, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Rajah"
- John Bickley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Rajah" in 1849
- Martin Bickley, aged 38, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- John Bickley, aged 16, a bricklayer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Harriet Bickley, aged 49, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Storm Cloud"
Bickley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Bickley, aged 21, a bricklayer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Indus" in 1843
- Ann Bickley, aged 22, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Indus" in 1843
- Robert Bickley, aged 18, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Douglas" in 1873
- William E. Bickley, American entomologist and professor at the University of Maryland
- George H. Bickley (1880-1938), American co-founder of DeArmond, Ashmead & Bickley, an architecture and landscape architecture firm based in Philadelphia active in the first half of the 20th century
- Howard Lee Bickley (1871-1947), American lawyer and jurist, Chief Justice of the New Mexico Supreme Court
- George Washington Lafayette Bickley (1819-1867), American founder of the Knights of the Golden Circle, a Civil War era secret society
- George Harvey Bickley (1868-1924), American Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church
- John Bickley (1819-1866), English cricketer who played first-class cricket for Nottinghamshire, Surrey, Kent between 1847 and 1860
- Sir Humphrey Bickley (d. 1754), 5th Baronet of Attleburgh, Norfolk, English peer
- Graham Bickley (b. 1958), English actor, best known for playing the role of Joey Boswell in Bread from 1989 until 1991
- Wallace Alexander Bickley (1810-1876), English-born early settler in colonial Western Australia, who became a Member of the Western Australian Legislative Council, eponym of Bickley, a suburb of Perth
- Mark Alan Bickley (b. 1969), former Australian rules football player with the Adelaide Crows in 2011
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
The Bickley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bickley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 April 2016 at 07:48.
on orders of $85 or more