100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the French Bettencourt family come from? What is the French Bettencourt family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bettencourt family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bettencourt family history?The Bettencourt surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of various places in France. These place names in turn derive from a Germanic personal name Betto, along with the Old French word "court," meaning a "yard," or a farmyard.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bettencourt, Betencourt, Betancourt, Bettancourt, Bethencourt and many more.
First found in Artois, a former province of northern France where this illustrious family held a family seat with lands and manor for many centuries. The family were well established in the region of Arras and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility. Robert, surname of Faissens, the Seigneur of Bethune of Artois held in the year 1000 and held the Counts of Artois.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bettencourt research. Another 155 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1620 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Bettencourt History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 37 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bettencourt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bettencourt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E. C. Bettencourt, who settled in Philadelphia in 1805
- William C. Bettencourt, who arrived in North Carolina in 1817
- Emanuel Bettencourt, who was naturalized in North Carolina in 1852
- Elvira Mathilde Bettencourt, aged 19, who emigrated to America, in 1893
- Joaquim Bettencourt, aged 2, who landed in America, in 1893
Bettencourt Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Cesar Bettencourt, aged 13, who settled in America from San Jorge, in 1901
- E. Bettencourt, aged 4, who landed in America, in 1904
- G. Bettencourt, who landed in America, in 1908
- Joase Bettencourt, aged 0, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Francisco Jose Bettencourt, aged 15, who landed in America from Manadas, St.Jorge, in 1911
- Nuno Duarte Gil Mendes Bettencourt (b. 1966), Portuguese-American guitarist and singer-songwriter
- Matt Bettencourt (b. 1975), American PGA professional golfer
- Lawrence Joseph Bettencourt (1905-1978), American former Major League Baseball outfielder
- André Bettencourt (1919-2007), French politician, a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor and recipient of the Croix de Guerre
- Liliane Bettencourt (b. 1922), French heiress, socialite, businesswoman and philanthropist, majority shareholder of L'Oréal
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Bettencourt Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bettencourt Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 June 2015 at 23:11.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!