100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Bettencourt surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of various places in France. These place names in turn derive from a Germanic personal name Betto, along with the Old French word "court," meaning a "yard," or a farmyard.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bettencourt, Betencourt, Betancourt, Bettancourt, Bethencourt and many more.
First found in Artois, a former province of northern France where this illustrious family held a family seat with lands and manor for many centuries. The family were well established in the region of Arras and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility. Robert, surname of Faissens, the Seigneur of Bethune of Artois held in the year 1000 and held the Counts of Artois.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bettencourt research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1620 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Bettencourt History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bettencourt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bettencourt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E. C. Bettencourt, who settled in Philadelphia in 1805
- William C. Bettencourt, who arrived in North Carolina in 1817
- Emanuel Bettencourt, who was naturalized in North Carolina in 1852
- Elvira Mathilde Bettencourt, aged 19, who emigrated to America, in 1893
- Joaquim Bettencourt, aged 2, who landed in America, in 1893
Bettencourt Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Cesar Bettencourt, aged 13, who settled in America from San Jorge, in 1901
- E. Bettencourt, aged 4, who landed in America, in 1904
- G. Bettencourt, who landed in America, in 1908
- Joase Bettencourt, aged 0, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Francisco Jose Bettencourt, aged 15, who landed in America from Manadas, St.Jorge, in 1911
- Lawrence Joseph Bettencourt (1905-1978), American former Major League Baseball outfielder
- Matt Bettencourt (b. 1975), American PGA professional golfer
- Nuno Duarte Gil Mendes Bettencourt (b. 1966), Portuguese-American guitarist and singer-songwriter
- Liliane Bettencourt (b. 1922), French heiress, socialite, businesswoman and philanthropist, majority shareholder of L'Oréal
- André Bettencourt (1919-2007), French politician, a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor and recipient of the Croix de Guerre
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Bettencourt Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bettencourt Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 June 2015 at 23:11.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!