The Bettencourt surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of various places in France. These place names in turn derive from a Germanic personal name
Betto, along with the Old French word "court," meaning a "yard," or a farmyard.
Early Origins of the Bettencourt family
The surname Bettencourt was first found in Artois, a former province of northern France where this illustrious family held a family seat
with lands and manor for many centuries. The family were well established in the region of Arras and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility. Robert, surname of Faissens, the Seigneur of Bethune of Artois held in the year 1000 and held the Counts of Artois.
Early History of the Bettencourt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bettencourt research.Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1620 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Bettencourt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bettencourt Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Bettencourt, Betencourt, Betancourt, Bettancourt, Bethencourt and many more.
Early Notables of the Bettencourt family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bettencourt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bettencourt family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bettencourt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E. C. Bettencourt, who settled in Philadelphia in 1805
- William C. Bettencourt, who arrived in North Carolina in 1817
- Emanuel Bettencourt, who was naturalized in North Carolina in 1852
- Elvira Mathilde Bettencourt, aged 19, who emigrated to America, in 1893
- Joaquim Bettencourt, aged 2, who landed in America, in 1893
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Bettencourt Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Cesar Bettencourt, aged 13, who settled in America from San Jorge, in 1901
- E. Bettencourt, aged 4, who landed in America, in 1904
- G. Bettencourt, who landed in America, in 1908
- Joase Bettencourt, aged 0, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Francisco Jose Bettencourt, aged 15, who landed in America from Manadas, St.Jorge, in 1911
Contemporary Notables of the name Bettencourt (post 1700)
- Lawrence Joseph Bettencourt (1905-1978), American former Major League Baseball outfielder
- Matt Bettencourt (b. 1975), American PGA professional golfer
- Nuno Duarte Gil Mendes Bettencourt (b. 1966), Portuguese-American guitarist and singer-songwriter
- Liliane Henriette Charlotte Bettencourt (1922-2017), French heiress, socialite, businesswoman and philanthropist, majority shareholder of L'Oréal, richest woman in the world with a net worth of US 44.3 billion dollars
- André Bettencourt (1919-2007), French politician, a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor and recipient of the Croix de Guerre