100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Betancourt surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of various places in France. These place names in turn derive from a Germanic personal name Betto, along with the Old French word "court," meaning a "yard," or a farmyard.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bettencourt, Betencourt, Betancourt, Bettancourt, Bethencourt and many more.
First found in Artois, a former province of northern France where this illustrious family held a family seat with lands and manor for many centuries. The family were well established in the region of Arras and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility. Robert, surname of Faissens, the Seigneur of Bethune of Artois held in the year 1000 and held the Counts of Artois.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Betancourt research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1620 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Betancourt History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Betancourt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Betancourt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alfredo Betancourt, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1892
- Alfredo Betancourt, aged 23, who settled in America, in 1894
- Dolores Betancourt, aged 11, who emigrated to America, in 1894
- C. Betancourt, aged 43, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
- Delores Betancourt, who landed in America, in 1897
Betancourt Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Andres Betancourt, aged 45, who landed in America, in 1904
- Aristidis Betancourt, aged 45, who settled in America, in 1905
- Alejandro Betancourt, aged 20, who emigrated to America from Havana, Cuba, in 1908
- Alfred Betancourt, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Henry Betancourt, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1912
- Philip P. Betancourt (b. 1936), American archaeologist, author, and a specialist in the Aegean Bronze Age
- Felipe Pablo Andreas "Phillip" Betancourt (b. 1936), American archaeologist, author, and a specialist in the Aegean Bronze Age
- John Gregory Betancourt (b. 1963), American science fiction writer
- Carlos Betancourt (b. 1966), American artist
- Danny Betancourt Chacón (b. 1981), Cuban right-handed baseball pitcher for the Cuban National Team
- Carlos Gálvez Betancourt (1921-1990), Mexican politician, Governor of Michoacán from 1968 to 1970
- Agustín de Betancourt y Molina (1758-1824), Spanish engineer, who worked in Spain, France and Russia
- Rómulo Ernesto Betancourt Bello (1908-1981), Venezuelan politician, known as "The Father of Venezuelan Democracy", President of Venezuela from 1945 to 1948 and again from 1959 to 1964
- Carolina Betancourt (b. 1993), Mexican tennis player
- Porfirio Armando Betancourt Cortez (b. 1957), retired Honduran football player
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Betancourt Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Betancourt Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 April 2016 at 08:41.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!