The Betancourt surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of various places in France. These place names in turn derive from a Germanic personal name
, Betto, along with the Old French word, "court," meaning "yard", or "farmyard".
Early Origins of the Betancourt family
The surname Betancourt was first found in Artois, a former province of northern France where this illustrious family held a family seat
with lands and manor for many centuries. The family were well established in the region of Arras and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility. Robert, surname of Faissens, the Seigneur of Bethune of Artois held in the year 1000 and held the Counts of Artois.
Early History of the Betancourt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Betancourt research.Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1620 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Betancourt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Betancourt Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Bettencourt, Betencourt, Betancourt, Bettancourt, Bethencourt and many more.
Early Notables of the Betancourt family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Betancourt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Betancourt family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Betancourt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alfredo Betancourt, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1892
- Alfredo Betancourt, aged 23, who settled in America, in 1894
- Dolores Betancourt, aged 11, who emigrated to America, in 1894
- C. Betancourt, aged 43, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
- Delores Betancourt, who landed in America, in 1897
Betancourt Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Andres Betancourt, aged 45, who landed in America, in 1904
- Aristidis Betancourt, aged 45, who settled in America, in 1905
- Alejandro Betancourt, aged 20, who emigrated to America from Havana, Cuba, in 1908
- Alfred Betancourt, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Henry Betancourt, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Betancourt (post 1700)
- Philip P. Betancourt (b. 1936), American archaeologist, author, and a specialist in the Aegean Bronze Age
- Felipe Pablo Andreas "Phillip" Betancourt (b. 1936), American archaeologist, author, and a specialist in the Aegean Bronze Age
- John Gregory Betancourt (b. 1963), American science fiction writer
- Carlos Betancourt (b. 1966), American artist
- Danny Betancourt Chacón (b. 1981), Cuban right-handed baseball pitcher for the Cuban National Team
- Carlos Gálvez Betancourt (1921-1990), Mexican politician, Governor of Michoacán from 1968 to 1970
- Agustín de Betancourt y Molina (1758-1824), Spanish engineer, who worked in Spain, France and Russia
- Rómulo Ernesto Betancourt Bello (1908-1981), Venezuelan politician, known as "The Father of Venezuelan Democracy", President of Venezuela from 1945 to 1948 and again from 1959 to 1964
- Carolina Betancourt (b. 1993), Mexican tennis player
- Porfirio Armando Betancourt Cortez (b. 1957), retired Honduran football player
- ... (Another 8 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Betancourt Family Crest Products