The ancient history of the Bestwick name begins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the family resided in one of two places named Beswick. One is located in the township of Berwick, in the parish of Kilnwick, in the East Riding of Yorkshire
while the other is in Lancashire
, where Berwick was a local
Early Origins of the Bestwick family
The surname Bestwick was first found in Yorkshire
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest
in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Bestwick family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bestwick research.Another 57 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bestwick History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bestwick Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon
surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations
. Changes in Anglo-Saxon
names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Bestwick include Beswick, Beswicke, Beswickt, Bestwick, Beeswick, Beswyck and many more.
Early Notables of the Bestwick family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bestwick Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bestwick family to the New World and Oceana
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Bestwick or a variant listed above:
Bestwick Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Matthew Bestwick who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1834
Contemporary Notables of the name Bestwick (post 1700)
- Sergeant Major Wilbur Bestwick (1911-1972), American marine from Sabetha, Kansas, the first Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps (1957-1959)
- Allen Bestwick (b. 1961), American sportscaster who currently works for ESPN and ABC as a motorsports, and formerly a college football, broadcaster
- Dick Bestwick (1930-2018), American football coach, scout, and college athletics administrator
- Robert Saxton Bestwick (1899-1980), English first-class cricketer from Heanor, Derbyshire, who played for Derbyshire between 1920 and 1922, son of Billy Bestwick
- Harold "Harry" Bestwick, English footballer from Derby who played in the Football League for Derby County (1888-1889)
- William "Billy" Bestwick (1875-1938), English cricketer who played for Derbyshire between 1898 and 1926, known as a "bad boy" of cricket
Bestwick Family Crest Products