Belding History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Belding is one of the oldest family names to come from the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is derived from the Old English personal name Bealding, which was originally derived from the name Beald.
Early Origins of the Belding family
The surname Belding was first found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Belding family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Belding research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1212, 1251, 1255, 1327, 1327, 1332 and 1674 are included under the topic Early Belding History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Belding Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Belding has undergone many spelling variations, including Balding, Baulding, Baldyne, Bolding, Baldyng, Beldyng, Baldinge, Baldin, Poldin and many more.
Early Notables of the Belding family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Belding Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Belding migration to the United States
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Belding were among those contributors:
Typical Belding Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Belding Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Belding, who landed in Connecticut in 1635 
- Samuel Belding, who arrived in New England in 1661 
Belding Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- T Belding, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- C C Belding, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- J W Belding, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Belding migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Belding Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Leonard J Belding, who arrived in Canada in 1833
Contemporary Notables of the name Belding (post 1700)
- Belding Hibbard Scribner (1921-2003), American physician and a pioneer in kidney dialysis
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)